M.A. Visual and Media Anthropology
The postgraduate study program M.A. Visual and Media Anthropology was developed and offered at Freie University (FU) Berlin. As of the winter semester 2019/20, it will be offered at HMKW Berlin.
This contemporary Masters program equips students with in-depth knowledge of visual and media anthropological themes in order to prepare them to become future leaders in the fields of digital media, the artificial intelligence industry and research, the film industry or governmental and non- governmental organizations. The program further aims to develop and shape leading voices in the cultural industries, including museums and galleries, film festivals, new and social media, and other art und culture production institutions.
Please visit the program website at FU Berlin for further information.
|Type||Distance learning (flexible e-learning in virtual classrooms, webinars etc.) and attendance periods (two 2-3 week workshops in Berlin)|
|Degree||Master of Arts (M.A.)|
|Tuition fees||670,- € monthly (This rise is necessary since HMKW is a private, state-recognized university of applied sciences)|
4 semesters (2 years)
Applicants: This program is aimed at students who have an undergraduate degree in any subject and who already have gained work experience relevant to their field of study.
Target jobs: The new media industry (serious education games, social media applications and mixed-reality-environments), Big Data analysis, immersive or virtual reality-technology industry, serious game design, film broadcast & online video industry with a focus on news coverage about (online) cultures, worldwide anthropological questions of artificial intelligence, social analysis of robotic technology, museum and art industries (curators, artists), jobs in governmental and non-governmental organizations in the sector of sustainable development and capacity building in underdeveloped and emerging countries with a focus on media usage.
Program Structure and Modules
- First Semester: Basic Modules (30 CP): Visual Anthropology, Media Anthropology
- Second Semester: Profile Modules (30 CP): Basics and Varieties of Ethnographic Film Production, Communication/Mediascapes, Applied Visual & Media Anthropology
- Third Semester: Project Modules (30 CP): Internship, Film- or Media Project
- Fourth Semester: Supervision Courses (30 CP)
How to Apply
Please use our Online Application form and attach a PDF of your CV.
The application round is now open until 31 July 2019!
We do accept applications for our waiting list until 2 September 2019
For admission requests, please e-mail mainfo (at) zedat.fu-berlin.de.
- A very good degree (university or university of applied sciences)
- A minimum of one year of work experience (internship, jobs, projects) subsequent to the completion of the undergraduate or first degree. This work experience should be related to your first degree or to some sort of media practice.
- Proficiency in English (fluent in both written and spoken) is a must
- Participants should have basic technical skills in film, video or photography
- Participants must have adequate electronic equipment in order to deal with various multimedia materials; high-speed Internet access, a fast computer and a personal email account are compulsory. Owning a basic digital camera is recommended.
- plus internal assessment process