You studied B.A. Media and Business Psychology at HMKW Cologne. Why did you decide on this course of study back then and what did you particularly enjoy during your studies?
I only discovered psychology for myself in a roundabout way. Before that I tried my hand at civil engineering. However, I missed the connection to the human being. After all, in the end, so many things are focused on satisfying the needs and necessities of people with their own work. So I was looking for a broad, current and psychological course of studies. The combination of economic, media-scientific and psychological elements immediately convinced me to study Media and Business Psychology at HMKW.
„What convinced me most about the HMKW study program Media and Business Psychology was the combination of economic, media science and psychological elements.“
What is your current job position?
At the moment I work for the Innovation Campus of EnBW (Energie Baden-Württemberg AG) in Berlin. The team is using its topics to initiate disruptive processes in the company, which need to be communicated to the 20,000 employees on the one hand and to the public on the other. Changes on such a scale can always cause uncertainties and even fears, which we counteract through transparent and continuous communication.
Tell us more about your internship. What were your tasks?
During my bachelor's studies at HMKW Cologne, I was able to work in the personnel department and development at Yello Strom GmbH. I accompanied the team for a total of 1.5 years both before and after my internship. Essentially, we worked on personnel recruiting, on the training of new colleagues and on the implementation of a new, agile working model. Keywords: Scrum, Kanban, Design Thinking.
In which subject and at which university are you now doing your Master's?
I am currently studying the master's programme "Urban Future" in the beautiful city of Potsdam. With this contemporary course of study, the Potsdam University of Applied Sciences offers a subject that has attracted great attention in politics and society as well as in the economy.
What exactly does the concept of "urban future" involve?
The Master's is conceived as an interdisciplinary course of study in which psychologists, computer scientists, designers and architects develop the "city of tomorrow". The city as a projection surface of a society and thus the many interactions of a large number of individuals is very exciting for me as a psychologist.
„The city as a projection surface of a society and thus the many interactions of numerous individuals is particularly exciting for me as a psychologist.“
What requirements did you have to fulfil for a successful application to the Potsdam State University of Applied Sciences?
On a formal level, a successful Bachelor's degree was of course required. However, only 49% of the grade was taken into account in the application. For the remaining 51% I had to design a concept under the keyword "smart-city"?
Where would you like to be in 5 years? Where are you going to be in your professional life?
In 5 years I hope to have built up a skill set that allows me to accompany interdisciplinary teams in the different phases of creation, development and implementation. As a transformation and change manager I am able to successfully establish the latest trends and developments in existing processes and companies or in new teams. This requires an open, creative mindset, know-how about project management processes and the ability to learn continuously.
What do you think about the HMKW Alumni Network?
I believe that even after attending the same seminars and exams, completely different personalities leave HMKW in the end. I have always been able to organize my studies on my own responsibility and thus focus on topics that interest me most. From all these different focal points, the professional profile of media and business psychologists is composed in the end. I would be primarily interested to know more about the challenges and the teams that the other Alumni are facing on their way.
„I have always been able to organize my studies on my own responsibility and thus focus on topics that are of particular interest to me.“
Twitter pitch! Describe yourself in 140 characters.
I believe that work should bring you joy, that hierarchy is out of style and that having an open minded and agile mindset brings innovation!
Thanks a lot for the exciting conversation!